Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chicago, I love you.


I'm hungry for more of the city.

This is an obviously biased opinion, but I truly believe that this is the most beautiful city in the country. Riding the bus to work every morning gives me a surprisingly fantastic view of the majority of the Loop and Streeterville, a few of the best areas and neighborhoods that exist here. The streets are clean, the population is diverse and the sites to see are endless. And the food. Chicago is at no shortage for unbelievable cuisine. My personal favorite? The Cajun, New Orleans dishes at Heaven on Seven that I miss oh so much when I'm stuck up North in the suburbs. And shopping? Michigan Avenue is the obvious choice, but for locals, there is no better area than the Gold Coast at Rush and Walton. Having the plan to go just window shopping is immediately abandoned once you get a taste of this area.

I could keep going forever. Chicago offers me an endless amount to dream about and experience, and in just a few short weeks I will get to be in the city permanently when I move into my very first condo in the Gold Coast. Exciting? Yes. Scary? Even more so. Who would have thought that moving half an hour South could be so intimidating and... well, permanent. But I'm willing to overcome the fear and anticipation, hopefully just in time to enjoy being young and in the city.

Because that really is the point of living in the city, right? To be carefree and young. Yes, unfortunately work and responsibility will sneak in every so often, but the endless opportunities to just have fun and experience new things will be so unbelievably overwhelming. It's the first stress factor since graduation that I'm excited to embrace: not knowing what to do first.

Every time I come downtown to visit, or whenever I commute for work, I always ride over the river and acknowledge how gorgeous the view is, but I never truly get to soak it in and appreciate it. Come September 4, I plan to do just that. To wander, to eat, to (window) shop, to just actually be here for the first time in my 22 years as a Chicagoan.

http://www.heavenonseven.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment