Monday, August 30, 2010

Getting cheeky.

I'm hungry for recognition.

I've been writing for an amazing online women's magazine for almost two months. It's unpaid, it's all on my own time... and it's absolutely incredible. For the first time since graduation... well, really for the first time ever, someone is giving me the opportunity to write in my own voice, in my own style. As a journalism major and as someone with a general passion for writing, I couldn't ask for anything better.

But I needed something more. Not money. Money isn't something that motivates me to do this. I love writing and I love Cheeky, the magazine that has given me this fantastic opportunity. What I needed was recognition. After being exposed to journalism and creative writing in college, I have waited four years to be able to make writing my profession. And somehow, I have achieved this just months after leaving my university. There's something absolutely priceless about seeing my name on the byline of an article, an article that everyone, anywhere can see and read.

The only thing that could make this experience better is being included on the "Meet" the staff page. And as of this evening, that goal has also been achieved. I not only get to do exactly what I've always wanted, but I get to be recognized for it, as me. Not with a syllabus as my guideline, not with a grade attached, but just as a piece of writing with my name at the top, hoping that the public will like something that I am proud to publish.

And, eventually, money wouldn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment