Tuesday, November 2, 2010

But seasons change and so will I.


I'm hungry for winter.

It's an interesting concept, wanting the cold weather to come when warm weather is always more comfortable. But there's a different type of comfort in the cool, crisp air that winter brings. Many people say that winter brings gloominess, sorrow, general cold things and ideas. But when I think of winter, I think of Christmas, the beautiful city completely illuminated with holiday lights, spices filling the air on the streets, warm sweaters and tea, fresh fallen snow.

It's my first winter living in the city, and although all of the things listed above have been experiences of mine before, I have experienced none of them as an independent adult. They are all things that when living downtown, alone, part of the real world, I think I'll be able to appreciate that much more. The little things during the cold months are what make them not as cold as they might normally be.

My dad said that I needed a heavy winter coat, so when I refused, he went out and bought me an Alaskan-appropriate down parka, perfect for those walks to the bus in the morning. But when I'm walking toward the bus on these first few crisp mornings, it's not the brisk weather I notice; it's the beautiful lake in front of me as I walk towards Lake Shore Drive. The beauty of the lake, of my own walk on my way to work, completely masks the unpleasantness of the temperature.

So some might say that winter is the worst season, unbearable during the really dark months. But I say, bring it on, Chicago. For my first, beautiful, Chicago winter, it can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment