Monday, November 29, 2010

Some are silver and the others gold.

I'm hungry for nostalgia.

A good friend of mine from abroad had a scary thing happen to her and her family this past week. Her cousin, and her dear best friend, was left unconscious in a hospital in Israel after a scare with pneumonia. Back in America, my friend was left helpless and scared for her cousin, not knowing what her future would hold. Luckily, the cousin woke up and is currently recovering in the ICU of the Israeli hospital.

When I found out, I didn't hesitate for a second before contacting my friend. We've talked on and off for the past (almost) two years since we've been home from our abroad experience in London, but nothing too intense or serious that would warrant her confiding in me during a family emergency. But she did. Something about the connection that we made during our four months abroad stuck with both of us, even after not seeing each other for a year and a half.

When I got home from my studies, I knew somewhere inside of me that the magical friendships I had created throughout my abroad experience wouldn't last forever. And in some ways, this was true. We became instantly close, my friend and I, because we were in close quarters and, frankly, we were all each other had. That closeness couldn't last forever in a long distance friendship.

But it wasn't until recently and during this traumatic event that I realized just how good of a friend she is to me, how important she is. There are different types of friends: those who you've known your whole life, those who you've known for a shorter period but are your absolute best confidantes, and then those who are long distance, who you only talk to every so often.

But they're all friends, no matter when they came into your life or how long they stayed. My friend from London may not be my every day contact, but she is my friend, a very important friend, one that I cherish deeply. She's the friend that I go to so that I can reminisce about my time abroad, to escape my every day life, to get lost in memories that are simply things of the past. In some ways, she's the most special type of friend I have.

The saying goes 'make new friends but keep the old' and normally I would say, 'Who needs to make new friends?' But now, I'm happy to have them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment