Thursday, September 23, 2010

Does Law and Order not count as culture?

I'm hungry for activity.

When you move to a great city like Chicago, in the heart of the bustling, fun-filled mecca that is downtown, you can't help but want to explore anything and everything.

But I work full-time. And it's been raining. And I really like my couch. And Law and Order marathons. So what's a girl to do on a lazy Saturday that shouldn't be so lazy?

To start with, I went to the farmer's market on Division last weekend. In the rain, I might add. The trip was totally worth it, though, with an abundance of fruits and vegetables that can keep an apartment stocked for weeks. I came away with tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers and nectarines, all of which lasted me and my roommate, Eve over a week.

But this farmer's market was a mere two blocks from our apartment. It was a start, right? Sure. But I needed more.

So, last night I took my friend, Sam to the opening night of the Broadway play, Rock of Ages with my two complimentary press tickets, courtesy of Cheeky Chicago. The show was fantastic. Not only did it put me in a great mood for the rest of the night, but the outing reminded me why I wanted to move to the city in the first place. To live, to do exciting activities, to be a part of the active Chicago community.

Final step of the week? Join a gym. Although it may not be cultural, it is a great addition to my mental and physical health. And if nothing else, motivates me to leave my apartment due to the fees taken out of my bank account each month.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I need to take the city one step at a time. Next step: Quartino for dinner tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment