Friday, September 17, 2010

Money doesn't always matter (that much).

I'm hungry to freelance.

After starting work, I realized that sometime in the nearest future possible, I want to be a writer. I've always known this on some level, that where my true passion lies is in writing, but stable careers and freelancing don't really fit into the same category.

But then again, it doesn't have to be my complete career. I've somehow managed to make time to have my full-time job and still freelance for a Chicago woman's magazine, Cheeky Chicago. I love both, but I also know that the writing for Cheeky is what makes me emotionally happy. Do they pay me to write sometimes two articles per week? No. But it's the personal fulfillment I get from writing for them that is what I value. The stability that I get from working at People is just as important, but in a different way. It makes me monetarily happy, which in some ways can be even more important.

So, by putting both jobs together, somehow I have managed to fulfill both my monetary and personal needs. And the fact that the writing I do is free rarely comes to mind because I love doing it just that much.

Would money be nice in exchange for freelancing sometime in the future? Absolutely. But for now, the happiness from writing is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment